Sunday, July 03, 2005

Priced to Move

The way home prices are going, if I want to buy a house I have to move. I teach high school and my wife works for a city and we can’t swing the $500,000 median price range. California has a reciprocal credential agreement with 35 states which means that with my teaching credential and some experience I can teach out of state. Now, we are thinking of where to go. We think that it would be exciting to get a new start and want to move before my 7-year-old daughter gets much older.

Here are my choices:

Alabama
Arizona
Arkansas
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
District of Columbia
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kentucky
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Mississippi
Montana
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia

If you have any insight into housing prices and teaching salaries in these states, drop me a line.

Of course, if you wish to purchase a screenplay so that we can stay, that will be fine too!

-S

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't come to Oklahoma for teaching, I think we are #49 out of 50 states or something for lowest paid...

8:30 PM  
Blogger Pierce said...

If you decide to come to Alabama, check into either Birmingham or Huntsville. Both have decent school systems from what I understand. I'm no expert: I'm not in the field and I have no children. But both cities have pretty good cultural events, both have a UA campus and Huntsville has a big scientific community. Both are also extraordinarily affordable - there was a survey that came out a couple of weeks ago that had both in the top 15 lowest cost of living in the country. Of course, now I can't find it.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Pierce said...

Here's a decent start on AL teacher salaries: http://www.al.com/politics/weblog/index.ssf?/mtlogs/syr_fearfollypolitics/archives/2005_05.html#061566 (third entry)

7:29 PM  
Blogger Bourgeois Dave said...

From research I did a few years ago, Connecticut has one of the highest salaries for teachers in the country, I think that's balanced with an exorbient cost of living though. Perhaps a Connecticut-ian (ite?) can fill you in on more.

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home