Sunday, July 03, 2005

Born in Arizona moved to Babylona . . .

My girls took me to the King Tut exhibit at LACMA for Father’s Day. Well, they got me the tickets. It is sold out for several weeks and we finally went on Friday. I remember the last time it was here because I really wanted to go, but I was 8 and couldn’t get a ride. I have always been interested in Egyptology and the exhibit did not let me down.

The exhibit gives you a glimpse of the life of a Pharaoh in the 18th Dynasty. There were the gold laden items and a full-size gold sarcophagus. But there were also chairs, tables, board games, even a leather dog collar; all preserved by the desert climate.

Tickets are $25.00 and the exhibit goes through November 15th.

But the Boy King was not the surprise of the day; that award goes to Tim Hawkinson.

Your ticket also gets you into the rest of the museum and that is where we discovered him. Tim Hawkinson is a multimedia artist in every sense of the word. From the foam and bubble wrap tree that drips water in rhythm, to the bird skeleton made out of fingernail clippings. But my favorites were the clock motors hidden in everyday objects; the hair brush with hair that tells time, a branch with a flower whose petals tell time, or the Coke can whose tab tells the time.

All in all, it was another great Father’s Day.

Thanks Girls!

-S


Me and My Girls Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home