Sunday, March 20, 2005

Well, I never intended for this blog to get political but . . .

The recent developments in Florida have been bothering me. As a parent, I will raise my daughter to the best of my ability. I will live by example and try to instill those values that I live by. That being said, I already realize that my 7 year old daughter is a living, breathing, thinking person. But even at this tender age she is already developing her own ideas and values based on her life spent away from us. And, someday she will leave the nest and further develop her individual values and ideals.

I am sure that Terri Schiavo's parents tried to instill values in their daughter, but she is not a cookie cutter mold of them. I truly believe that Terri told her husband that if anything ever happened she would not want to live like that.

My parents are very religious, my wife and I are not. I do not want a church burial; I want to be cremated and my ashes scattered. I also do not want to live in a vegetative state. My wife knows my wishes and has promised to carry them out. My parents have different values and ideals and would probably disagree with me. I say probably because I have not discussed it with them, as I am sure that Terri did not discuss her wishes with her parents. She made a pact with her husband and that was good enough for her.

People are arguing that if those were her wishes then why didn’t she put it in writing. Why should she have to? The laws of her state say that her husband has the final say. She believed that her husband would be able to carry out her wishes because the law says he could.

But, that is not the case, now is it? Governor Bush, Congress, and President Bush are now trying to override the very law that protected Terri. And, according to today’s news, they are taking the cowards’ way out. Knowing that they will not have the unanimous vote needed to create a new law, they have decided to have the vote at 12:01 a.m. when the law states that a unanimous vote is note required. Cowards.

I will leave you with a final question before I sign off: Why is Michael Schiavo so willing to end his wife’s life?

Before you answer, remember Terri’s parents have told Michael that he can walk away and they will care for her. He has also been offered $1,000,000 by a San Diego businessman to walk away. Still, he refuses. Why? Because he knows that Terri would not, does not, want to live her life this way.

1 Comments:

Blogger david golbitz said...

Yeah, I love how the Republicans are using this poor woman's life (and death) as a political issue. It's disgusting. They should be ashamed of themselves.

I haven't written about the case yet on my own site because I haven't been able to wrap my head around it. The woman is a vegetable, with absolutely no chance of recovery. Countless medical experts have said as much. And yet her parents still cling to some insane belief that she'll wake up some day.

I can understand that it's difficult for a parent to outlive a child, but sometimes you just have to make peace with it and let go.

11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home