Saturday, March 26, 2005

Long Live the Mix Tape

Can you keep a secret? Just between friends? I don’t own an iPod. What? you say. Then, how do I listen to music? The good old fashion mix tape. I am usually at home, in my car, or at my desk, with a CD player at each location. I have been buying CDs for almost 20 years and have accumulated quite a collection; of course, most are in boxes in my garage.

Today, my wife and I are going for a drive and I decided to make a CD. Not all-time greatest hits but some good hits for today. It always amazes me when someone can name their favorite band or favorite song of all time. I could never do it. It depends what kind of mood I am in. Whenever I hear a song, I am transported back to the time when the song was popular. When I hear Depeche Mode, I am sixteen again and driving around in my ’64 LeMans. When I hear U2’s Joshua Tree, I am a sophomore in high school and going to my first concert with Mitch.

Today is a cool day with some high clouds and we are driving out to Riverside to pick up our daughter who is spending the night at her cousin’s house. It feels like a day for John Mayer, The Postal Service, Jack Johnson, and David Grey. So, I’ll take my favorites and burn them and when I listen to the compilation, I will always remember the drive I took with my wife.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home