Friday, August 05, 2005

If you see Gus, I want my $10 back!


I went out to L.A. the other night to meet up with my long-time friend, Brian. After dinner we decided to catch a movie. We decided on Last Days, written and directed by the afore mentioned Gus Van Sant. The movie is inspired by, if not loosely based on the suicide of Nirvana front man, Kurt Cobain.

Ouch.

I am not big on reviews, so I won’t write one, but damn that sucked!

Two Three things:

1) 2 minutes of the camera watching a Boys II Men video, full screen. No dialogue in the background.
2) 2 minutes of the camera watching a bush.
3) Repeating scenes. (And not in a Tarantino Kind of way to show different perspectives. Just showing a scene again)

There was plenty more to dislike.

Now to be fair, I had been up since 5:30 and had to get up the next morning at 5:30. Maybe there was something that I was missing

AARRGH.

-S

2 Comments:

Blogger david golbitz said...

Have you seen Van Sant's last two films, Gerry and Elephant? I hear all three are very similar in tone and style. Just Van Sant kind of fucking around with time and plot, or lack there of.

He was a great director back in, what, the late 80s and early 90s. Drugstore Cowboy, My Own Private Idaho, but he's been up to some weird stuff lately. Which is his right and all. More power to him. Just don't think we should be forced to pay $10 to watch his experiments.

9:57 PM  
Blogger Matthew Reynolds said...

I had high hopes for that one too.

But you did like "The Island" so maybe I'll give it a try (heh heh)

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home